Monday, March 21, 2011

Hangin'out with Greg and on to Coonabarabran

Graeme and I cycle to Gunnedah, 75kms. So nice having him along, has been amazing spending time at his little retreat. Once we hit Gunnedah we eat and Graeme turns around and rides back to Tamworth! I then make my way to Greg's. Was so nice catching up with him, such a generous soul. We both camped in the back yard for a few nights and his bro Clive made sure I felt right at home. They had a big night the night before I left Gunnedah and I didn't get all that much sleep, but I felt good about the next day's ride.
At 6:30am I said nginda ngamili yaluu to Greg and snuck out the side gate. The sun was rising behind me as I headed west, I knew it was going to be a big day. The morning was crisp and overcast, but on the horizon sat the beginning of a rainbow... surely a sign of good things to come?
Undulating hills and a slight head wind make for a pretty slow ride. I want to get to Coona before 5pm. Peter and Meg, who I have never met, are putting me up and if I get in before 5 they can drive me out to their place (16kms outta town). I make my first coffee on my stove at a little rest area, it already feels slightly lonely with no one to share my coffee. I make it to Mallaley and then the hills begin, up, up, up. The slow gradual climb is reminiscent of the ride to Tamorth via Thunderbolt's way, only this time I aint got Mel there for support! As teh time ticks by and the sun moves overhead, I start to doubt I'll reach Coona in time. Now I dread the extra 16kms into teh Warrumbungles. 20kms out and the hills keep coming, all I want to do is pitch my tent and sleep.
Make it to coona, everyone in town smiles and says hello, I like this place. Peter and Meg are incredible generous, I get to stay in my own little cabin and all I have to do is mow the lawns on the ride on mower yyeeeeeeehaaaawwwww!

No comments:

Post a Comment